Pedals are often not considered as one of the foremost parameters for tours involving some wild adventures and bumpy, mountainous roads. You need to understand that normal road pedals and pedals meant for tours, where you wear MTB shoes while pedaling are two very different things.
Obviously, if you’re on some tour, no one can actually expect you to only be on your bike and walk nowhere. And when you indeed walk on those roads, anyone can deduce the kind of shoes you’d wear. So you must pedal with those shoes as well!
This once again brings us to the kind of pedals which are designed for that. Gravel bike Pedals are different. They’re designed for adventures meant on-road terrains and wilderness. You get options of flat pedals, clipless pedals, and clipless plus flat pedals (double-sided).
Now you might have a doubt about the reason why you shouldn’t use normal road clipless pedals. Well maybe because it’s not meant for tours when you’re mounted with loads and wearing mountain shoes. So yes. This article will contain details about some of the best gravel bike Pedals which you must check out once before you make your final buying. So let’s go.
Presenting You With Some Of The Best Gravel Bike Pedals (Clipless)
1. Shimano PD-M520
This clipless pedal looks very futuristic, well maybe it’s the design which screams that out. Anyways, this one offers you an awesome ROI with features that include SH51 SPD cleats for releasing tension. Weight is slightly on the higher side but that doesn’t mean anything as the features and the durability it provides along with easy foot space is something totally worth it.
What else? Well, the price is something very affordable, to begin with. Also, you’d feel that you’re pedaling with due ease as that’s what Shimano specializes in. Also, it’s highly adjustable in nature.
So all these features being provided by PD-M520 make it one of the best pedals you should have for your bike to gravel.
2. Crankbros Eggbeater 3
They’re simply awesome. No more words. Just stupendously awesome. Once you lock your feet/shoes on the pedals, you’re set to go with no problems at all. The number of entry sides is 4 and the pedal is designed in a way that makes you feel comfortable on any type of road you might be on. You also get float (custom) which is very awesome when it comes to mud protection.
Durability is something quite commendable and since made from stainless steel, you know how hard it will be. Weight is on the lower side of only 280 grams. All of these factors collectively contribute to the pedals being awesome for gravel tours and surely you get a lot more about it once you check it out.
- Spindle material: forged scum 435 chromyl steel
- Body material: cast stainless steel
- Wing material: 17-4ph stainless
- Release angle 15 degree/20 degree
- Weight 280g per pair
3. Time Atac XC 8
You get a very light bodied pedal here, made of carbon and the axle is CroMoly. This pedal is designed for convenient usage and the Auto tension adjustment is the live proof.
The pedals are quite durable and performance is something veterans have often spoken positively about. You will realize how awesome it works once you actually use it.
The design is known to withstand some harsh conditions and it has been tested for the same. Truly a masterpiece amongst the pedals for gravel bikes.
- Chrome steel axle and carbon body
- Stainless steel moulded dual-arches for long-life durability
- At AC system (auto tension adjustment concept) provides easy engagement - Foot retention is independent from spring tension
- Self-cleaning frontal retention system sheds dirt every Time you clip in
- Angular float (+/-5) and lateral float (6 mm)
Now Presenting You With Best Flat Pedal Meant For Gravel Bikes
1. Funn Python Flat Pedal
I personally feel the design is quite good here. Well but that’s definitely not it. It is made from 6062 aerospace grade alloy and the pins attached on the pedal ensures that your grip stays firm while you’re on a ride.
Weight is nearly 375 grams (1 pedal) and you get the choice of replacing or substituting any parts should they wear down or get damaged in any way.
You even get the replacement parts online. These pedals are completely awesome thanks to their wild nature and durability and make it one of the top choices for riders when looking for the best pedals for gravel biking.
- Versatile Use : Mountain bike flat pedals for downhill, enduro, trail riding and dirt jumps
- Wide And Thin : Built with a large platform and optimal ground clearance for maximum control
- Quality Production : Precision CNC'd from 6061 alloy with 6 anodized color to choose from
- Axle System : 9/16" CrMo axle with full self-lubricating housing
- Anti-skid pins : Removable metal pins for maximum grip and maintenance
2. Race Face Chester
Chester is designed with Nylon along with 8 pins meant for a firm grip. The axle is quite sturdy in nature and the comfort and durability it offers are quite awesome. Also economically it’s viable for many which make it a preferable choice as a pedal meant for gravel bikes.
The reviews are very good which surely suggests that these pedals are supposed to be something. Also in terms of features, it provides you the accessibility to easy services. Also, the pins are replaceable.
Smoothness is something you should be assured of and durability is quite obvious. Weight is towards the lighter side and that’s a great thing.
You must check out these awesome pedals for your gravel tours.
- Built for: Trail / DH / FR.
- Platform Size: 110mm x 101mm.
- Weight: 340g
- # of Pins: 16 SHCS hex traction pins per pedal (8 per side).
- Bearings: Cartridge bearings and DU bushings.
3. Crank brother’s 5050’s Platform Pedals
If you talk about wright, then I must say it’s a bit on the heavier side and also the size is big, which makes it an ideal choice for bike tours. These pedals are known for high durability and a glance at it can very well tell you that these are the pedals your gravel bike must-have if you’re about to go on some wild tours.
Comfort is immensely appreciated and as the spindle is made from 435 Chromoly steel and aluminum body, that just adds the cherry on the top.
Coming to the pins, there are 10 in total which is completely replaceable should you want to and you get this 480-gram pair of pedals with a 5-year warranty.
Thin in width? Maybe but that’s what makes it more comfortable. One of the best pedals once again for your gravel bikes.
- Spindle Material: Forged scm435 chromoly steel
- Body Material: Forged 6061-T6
- Inner Bearing: Igus LL-glide bearing
- Outer Bearing: Igus LL-glide bearing
- Profile: 11mm-13mm thin
4. Pedaling Innovations Catalyst Pedals
It is said, once again by many that these pedals will ensure that you get stability, durability, and due comfort while riding and also gives you the offer of a money-back guarantee within 30 days period.
The main thing which I’ve noticed about these pedals is its length, it’s huge if you see the 128 mm. Weight is 505 grams which makes it heavy however the efficiency is what makes this product completely awesome.
The platform is designed in a way that you get to position your feet at a place that will ensure a maximum boost to your pedaling without using excessive energy.
Some key features include the usage of 18 pins on one pedal for the firm and efficient grip, you get the product in four colors viz. Black, grey, red, and blue, the product is highly durable and qualitative and it has been tested for the same.
Check out something similar below!
- Ultra Thin, Large Platform (115x105mm) Super Grippy Mountain Bike Pedal weighing only 355g a pair
- 4.5 / 5 Star Review by Vital-MTB a leading mountain bike website.
- 10 Rear-Loading Hexagonal Steel Pins per side ( Hex pins have (less surface area than a round pins so provide more grip without sacrificing pin strength)
- Double-Sealed, Full-Cartridge Bearings and no bushings for Ultimate Durability and pedal life
- Pedal body Material: CNC 6061-T6 Aluminum. Axle Material: High Strength Chromoly Steel
5. Shimano PD-GR500
Coming back once again to Shimano, these gravel bike pedals are known for their uniqueness in terms of designing and the shape given to these pedals is meant for perfect efficiency coupled with firmer grip and stability. Once again you get the pins that are replaceable and the weight, though on the heavier side (533 grams) doesn’t compromise anything when you’re on your ride.
Strength, durability, size, grip, value for money is what covers these pedals and makes it a good choice for many riders looking for gravel bike pedals which are best.
- Unique shape with concave platform for better control and efficiency
- Extra-wide and especially low profile
- 3 different pin height settings to match different styles of riding
- Replaceable pins; screwed in from the back for easy maintenance
- Extra strong axle
6. Spank Spike Flat
The pins and the platform for your foot to be on, are both durable and totally worth it. The pins make sure that your grips are as firm as they should be and the platform ensures a comfortable spacing for your foot but at the same time ensuring that you get awesome boosting to your pedaling speed without using much energy.
Some features include a weight of 420 grams and the body is designed in the alloy (cold forged), you also get twenty pins per side for fantastic grip and the edges are chamfered to the sides.
Give it a try once and I’m sure as anything that you won’t regret it even one bit.
- A super slim 12mm race and freeride pedal for maximized pedaling clearance at 420g per set
- Forged alloy body is shot peened and anodized for increased durability
- Equipped with forged hollow taper chromo steel axles for unmatched strength
- Sealed bearings and IGUS bushings
- 20 preassembled pins in virtual concavity for ultimate grip
7. 45NRTH Helva Platform Pedals
Talk about having the best stability and I’ll present you with these gravel bike pedals without even a second thought. Why? Well, they are known for their stability and the wide platform it provides only ensures that stability and comfort are maintained earnestly.
The design is awesome and if your tour involves some cold and chilly places, you might just press the button given below and make your purchase as soon as possible because this is the one you should have for those tours. That doesn’t mean it’s not useful for any other your but the USP here is snow and winter.
Naturally, the cost here is on the higher side but every penny will be worth it as this is how it’s designed!
Check out something similar.
- Durable and light weight/ CNC machined aluminum bodies: 406 grams per pair
- Superior grip low profile platform: 14 Replaceable Back-Out Steal Pins per side
- Ideal flat pedal for Riders who value durability, serviceability, and products engineered to last with 105 x 105 x 17mm platform
- Perfect for riders who want grip and who are tired of destroying pedals and the cost of frequent replacement
- Full length Forged and Heat Treated Cr-Mo Axle; LSL and Sealed Cartridge Bearings
8. HT PA03A Composite Pedal
These pedals are not that great in terms of looks, in my humble opinion however if you consider the functionalities, that’s what I’d say is awesome. It lighter in weight and are not metal however the pins are, and they’re also replaceable.
You get a good amount of platform which will ensure your feet are rested comfortably and also when you pedal, it will ensure a maximum boost to your speed with a minimum force of your pedaling. Smoothness.
Pedal weight is around 345 grams which are convenient and the body is completely designed with Nylon. Its efficiency is what compelled me to put it in the list of the best pedals meant for gravel bikes.
- Super low concave profile, reinforced nylon body and super wide platform
- Reinforced composite nylon body and CNC machined Cr-Mo axis
- 2 ring bearings + 1 bushing
- Replaceable pins m3 x 10 mm
- Size: 107 x 105 x 18 mm and weight 345g per pair.
When You’re Blessed To Have Both Types In One
1. Shimano Deore XT M8020 SPD
This pedal is what you call both clipless and flat in nature. If you see the reviews, it has been highly recommended by many and surely when you give it a look, you can see why.
It is made of durable materials like Chromoly spindle and hrx wrench mount (8 mm). You get the choice of entry and release of tension which is quite commendable. You get an ample amount of stability and comfort while you ride and the design is what makes it a complete packaged deal you shouldn’t miss out for the world.
Personally speaking, this one is the best gravel bike pedals in my opinion however you must check it all out as all of them are awesome in their own ways.
- XT SPD's are designed to take the rigours of off-road competition whilst also being perfect for cross country trail riding
- Lightweight and high performance using a forged alloy body, chrome-moly axle and a revised cleat interface for increased stability
- Sealed cartridge axle system for reliability and simplified low maintenance
2. Crank brothers Doubleshot Hybrid
This one once again is a mix and one of the best gravel bike pedals you can ask for! Why? Well because economically it’s viable. You get to have awesome efficiency when you’re on a long tour and these pedals make sure that you don’t need to use excessive force while pedaling as they ensure that the positioning of feet will yield maximum boost.
You simply choose the side of the pedal as per your trip. Short trip? Simply use the flat side. That’s what I love about it.
The components needed to design this masterpiece involve Igus LL-Glide bearings, Enduro Cartridge Bearings, and also it is made of aluminum and steel (stainless). Weight is only 395 grams which is once again quite good and this product is highly recommended so you must check it out!
You should know however they sometimes the attachment and detachment of the pedals become a bit difficult so you should periodically do it just to ensure that the process remains smooth.
- HYBRID, COMMUTER, MOUNTAIN BIKE PEDAL - Choose to ride flat (no cleats) or clipped in. The Double Shot gives you the best of both worlds allowing you to chose how to ride. Headed for a long commute? Clip in and maximize your efficiency! Headed around the corner to grab some lunch? Keep those flip flops on and ride the flat side.
- PREMIUM BEARINGS AND SEALS - Exclusive Igus LL-Glide Bearings, Enduro Cartridge Bearings, and Double Seals deliver industry leading quality and reliability.
- STRONG AND LIGHTWEIGHT - Aluminum and Stainless construction, diamond plate pads for traction, and superior mud shedding. Weighs just 395g which is comparible with the popular Shimano A530
- SIMPLY RELIABLE - Backed by an industry leading 5 year Warranty, you can buy and ride with confidence, Crankbrothers has you covered.
- FULL SPECS - Spindle = Forged 435 Chromoly Steel, Body = A380 Aluminum, Wing = 17-4PH Stainless, Spring = 300 Series Stainless, Release Angle = 15 / 20 degrees
1. Does gravel bikes come with pedals?
Frequently gravel bikes don’t come with pedals and therefore this is the first item you will definitely buy for your gravel bike
2. Are bicycle pedals universal?
Bike pedals are not universal. Actually, there are two main bike pedal sizes i.e 9/16” and ½”.
3. Can you replace bicycle pedals?
When bicycle pedals get damage, it’s time for them to be changed. Luckily, you can easily change your bicycle pedals at home using some easy tools.
So these were some of the best gravel bike pedals and I’m very sure that now you see why are they the best. Before you buy, check all the factors you think is important for your tour and only then make your buying. Whichever one you choose from this list, you’ll get the results that will always be optimum. Please do check out for more cycle-related product reviews here.