Gravel Bike Pedals are often not considered as one of the foremost parameters for tours involving some wild adventures and bumpy, mountainous roads.
You need to understand that normal road pedals and pedals meant for tours, where you wear MTB shoes while pedaling are two very different things. Obviously if you’re on some tour, no one can actually expect you to only be on your bike and walk nowhere.
Gravel bike Pedals are different. They’re designed for adventures meant on road terrains and wilderness.
Now you might have a doubt about the reason why you shouldn’t use normal road clipless pedals. Well maybe because it’s not meant for tours when you’re mounted with loads and wearing mountain shoes.
A. Presenting You With Some Of The Best Gravel Bike Pedals (Clipless).
1. Shimano PD-M520.
This clipless Gravel Bike Pedals looks very futuristic, well maybe it’s the design which screams that out. Anyways, this one offers you an awesome ROI with features which include SH51 SPD cleats for releasing tension.
Weight is slightly on the higher side but that doesn’t mean anything as the features and the durability it provides along with easy foot space is something totally worth it.
What else? Well the price is something very affordable to begin with. Also you’d feel that you’re pedaling with due ease as that’s what Shimano specializes in. Also it’s highly adjustable in nature.
So all these features being provided by PD-M520 makes it one of the best pedals you should have for your bike to gravel.
2. Crankbros Eggbeater 3.
They’re simply awesome. No more words. Just stupendously awesome. Once you lock your feet/shoes on the pedals, you’re set to go with no problems at all. The number of entry sides is 4 and the Bike pedal is designed in a way which makes you feel comfortable on any type of road you might be on it and also surly Long Haul Trucker.
Durability is something quite commendable and since made from stainless steel, you know how hard it will be. Weight is on the lower side of only 280 gram.
- Spindle material: forged scum 435 chromyl steel
- Body material: cast stainless steel
- Wing material: 17-4ph stainless
- Release angle 15 degree/20 degree
- Weight 280g per pair
3. Time Atac XC 8.
You get a very light bodied pedal here, made of carbon and the axle is CroMoly. This pedal is designed for convenient usage and the Auto tension adjustment is the live proof.
The pedals are quite durable and performance is something veterans have often spoken positive about. You will realize how awesome it works once you actually use it.
The design is known to withstand some harsh conditions and it has been tested for the same. Truly a masterpiece amongst the pedals for gravel bikes.
- ATAC XC Pedals
B. Now Presenting You With Best Flat Pedal Meant For Gravel Bikes.
1. Funn Python Flat Pedal.
I personally feel the design is quite good here. Well but that’s definitely not it. It is made from 6062 aerospace grade alloy and the pins attached on the Gravel Bike Pedals ensures that your grip stays firm while you’re on a ride.
Weight is nearly 375 grams (1 pedal) and you get the choice of replacing or substituting any parts should they wear down or get damaged in any way.
You even get the replacement parts online.
- Versatile Use : Mountain bike flat pedals for downhill, enduro, trail riding and dirt jumps
- Wide And Thin : Built with a large platform and optimal ground clearance for maximum control
- Quality Production : Precision CNC'd from 6061 alloy with 6 anodized color to choose from
- Axle System : 9/16" CrMo axle with full self-lubricating housing
- Anti-skid pins : Removable metal pins for maximum grip and maintenance
2. Race Face Chester.
Chester is designed with Nylon along with 8 pins meant for firm grip. The axle is quite sturdy in nature and the comfort and durability it offers is quite awesome. Also economically it’s viable for many which against makes it a preferable choice as a pedal meant for gravel bikes.
The reviews are very good which surely suggests that these pedals are supposed to be something.
Also in terms of features, it provides you the accessibility to easy services. Also the pins are replaceable. Smoothness is something you should be assured of and durability is quite obvious.
You must check out these awesome Best Gravel Bike pedals for your tours.
- Built for: Trail / DH / FR.
- Platform Size: 110mm x 101mm.
- Weight: 340g
- # of Pins: 16 SHCS hex traction pins per pedal (8 per side).
- Bearings: Cartridge bearings and DU bushings.
3. Crank brother’s 5050’s Platform Pedals.
If you talk about wright, then I must say it’s a bit on the heavier side and also the size is big, which makes it an ideal choice for bike tours. These pedals are known for high durability and a glance at it can very well tell you that these are the pedals your Gravel Bike Pedals must have if you’re about to go to some wild tours.
Comfort is immensely appreciated and as the spindle is made from 435 Chromoly steel and aluminum body, that just adds cherry on the top.
Coming to the pins, there are 10 in total which are completely replaceable should you want to and you get this 480 gram pair of Gravel Bike pedals with a 5 year warranty .
Thin in width? Maybe but that’s what makes it more comfortable. One of the best Gravel Bike pedals once again for your gravel bikes.
- Spindle Material: Forged scm435 chromoly steel
- Body Material: Forged 6061-T6
- Inner Bearing: Igus LL-glide bearing
- Outer Bearing: Igus LL-glide bearing
- Profile: 11mm-13mm thin
4. Pedaling Innovations Catalyst Pedals.
It is said, once again by many that these pedals will ensure that you get stability, durability and due comfort while riding and also gives you the offer of money back guarantee within 30 days period.
The main thing which I’ve noticed about these pedals is its length, it’s huge if you see the 128 mm. Gravel Bike Pedals Weight is 505 grams which makes it heavy however the efficiency is what makes this product completely awesome.
The platform is designed in a way that you get to position your feet at a place which will ensure maximum boost to your pedaling without using excessive energy.
Some key features include usage of 18 pins on one pedal for firm and efficient grip, you get the product in four colours viz. Black, grey, red and blue, product is highly durable and the qualitative and it has been tested for the same.
Check out something similar below!
- Ultra Thin, Large Platform (115x105mm) Super Grippy Mountain Bike Pedal weighing only 355g a pair
- 4.5 / 5 Star Review by Vital-MTB a leading mountain bike website.
- 10 Rear-Loading Hexagonal Steel Pins per side ( Hex pins have (less surface area than a round pins so provide more grip without sacrificing pin strength)
- Double-Sealed, Full-Cartridge Bearings and no bushings for Ultimate Durability and pedal life
- Pedal body Material: CNC 6061-T6 Aluminum. Axle Material: High Strength Chromoly Steel
5. Shimano PD-GR500.
Coming back once again to Shimano, these pedals are known for its uniqueness in terms of designing and the shape given to these Gravel Bike pedals are meant for perfect efficiency coupled with firmer grip and stability.
Strength, durability, size, grip, value for money is what covers these pedals and makes it a good choice for many riders looking for gravel bike pedals which are best.
- Unique shape with concave platform for better control and efficiency
- Extra-wide and especially low profile
- 3 different pin height settings to match different styles of riding
- Replaceable pins; screwed in from the back for easy maintenance
- Extra strong axle
6. Spank Spike Flat.
The pins and the platform for your foot to be on, are both durable and totally worth it. The pins make sure that your grips are as firm as they should be and the platform ensures a comfortable spacing for your foot but at the same time ensuring that you get awesome boosting to your pedaling speed without using much energy.
Some features include a weight of 420 gram and the body is designed in alloy (cold forged), you also get twenty pins per side for fantastic grip and the edges are chamfered to the sides.
Give it a try once and I’m sure as anything that you won’t regret it even one bit.
- A super slim 12mm race and freeride pedal for maximized pedaling clearance at 420g per set
- Forged alloy body is shot peened and anodized for increased durability
- Equipped with forged hollow taper chromo steel axles for unmatched strength
- Sealed bearings and IGUS bushings
- 20 preassembled pins in virtual concavity for ultimate grip
7. 45NRTH Helva Platform Pedals.
Talk about having best stability and I’ll present you this pedal without even a second thought. Why? Well they are known for their stability and the wide platform it provides only ensures that stability and comfort is maintained earnestly.
The designing is awesome and if your tour involves some cold and chilly places, you might just press the button given below and make your purchase as soon as possible because this is the one you should have for those tours.
Naturally the cost here is on the higher side but every penny will be worth it as this is how it’s designed!
Check out something similar.
- Durable and light weight/ CNC machined aluminum bodies: 406 grams per pair
- Superior grip low profile platform: 14 Replaceable Back-Out Steal Pins per side
- Ideal flat pedal for Riders who value durability, serviceability, and products engineered to last with 105 x 105 x 17mm platform
- Perfect for riders who want grip and who are tired of destroying pedals and the cost of frequent replacement
- Full length Forged and Heat Treated Cr-Mo Axle; LSL and Sealed Cartridge Bearings
8. HT PA03A Composite Pedal.
These pedals are not that great in terms of looks, in my humble opinion however if you consider the functionalities, that’s what I’d say is awesome. It lighter in weight and are not metal however the pins are, and they’re also replaceable.
Gravel Bike Pedals weight is around 345 grams which is convenient and the body is completely designed with Nylon. It’s efficiency is what compelled me to put it in the list of the best pedals meant for gravel bikes.
- Super low concave profile, reinforced nylon body and super wide platform
- Reinforced composite nylon body and CNC machined Cr-Mo axis
- 2 ring bearings + 1 bushing
- Replaceable pins m3 x 10 mm
- Size: 107 x 105 x 18 mm and weight 345g per pair.
C. When You’re Blessed To Have Both Types In One.
1. Shimano Deore XT M8020 SPD.
This pedal is what you call both clipless and flat in nature. If you see the reviews, it has been highly recommended by many and surely when you give it a look, you can see why.
It is made of durable materials like Chromoly spindle and hrx wrench mount (8 mm). You get the choice of entry and release of tension which is quite commendable.
Personally speaking, this Gravel Bike Pedals is the best gravel bike pedals in my opinion however you must check it all out as all of them are awesome in their own ways.
- XT SPD's are designed to take the rigours of off-road competition whilst also being perfect for cross country trail riding
- Lightweight and high performance using a forged alloy body, chrome-moly axle and a revised cleat interface for increased stability
- Sealed cartridge axle system for reliability and simplified low maintenance
2. Crank brothers Doubleshot Hybrid.
This one, once again is a mix and one of the best bike pedals you can ask for! Why? Well because economically it’s viable. You simply choose the side of the pedal as per your trip. Short trip? Simply use the flat side. That’s what I love about it.
The components needed to design this masterpiece involve Igus LL-Glide bearings, Enduro Cartridge Bearings and also it is made of aluminum and steel (stainless).
Weight is only 395 grams which is once again quite good and this product is highly recommended so you must check it out!
You should know however they sometimes the attachment and detachment of the Gravel Bike Pedals become a bit difficult so you should periodically do it just to ensure that the process remains smooth.
- HYBRID, COMMUTER, MOUNTAIN BIKE PEDAL - Choose to ride flat (no cleats) or clipped in. The Double Shot gives you the best of both worlds allowing you to chose how to ride. Headed for a long commute? Clip in and maximize your efficiency! Headed around the corner to grab some lunch? Keep those flip flops on and ride the flat side.
- PREMIUM BEARINGS AND SEALS - Exclusive Igus LL-Glide Bearings, Enduro Cartridge Bearings, and Double Seals deliver industry leading quality and reliability.
- STRONG AND LIGHTWEIGHT - Aluminum and Stainless construction, diamond plate pads for traction, and superior mud shedding. Weighs just 395g which is comparible with the popular Shimano A530
- SIMPLY RELIABLE - Backed by an industry leading 5 year Warranty, you can buy and ride with confidence, Crankbrothers has you covered.
- FULL SPECS - Spindle = Forged 435 Chromoly Steel, Body = A380 Aluminum, Wing = 17-4PH Stainless, Spring = 300 Series Stainless, Release Angle = 15 / 20 degrees
So these were some of the best Gravel Bike Pedals and I’m very sure that now you see why are they the best. Before you buy, check all the factors you think is important for your tour and only then make your buying.
Short Gravel Bike Pedals Overview.
At the core of our gravel bike pedals platform is a new drivetrain technology that is slightly different to your standard steel SPD-SL chain and clip on SPD compatible pedals. We have developed a new multi-link axle drive system that allows the rider to switch between SPD’s and clipless pedals without having to change their derailleurs and shifting system.
With this technology a custom adapted Shimano cassette will allow riders to switch their cassette without a derailleur. This allows the rider to stay in one shift pattern from one pedal to the other.
Our large 4.4 x 30a x 12a wide axle system ensures that you can run the wide variety of tires that are on the market today. Available in 30mm or 36mm. We have chosen Shimano’s largest axle in the Ultegra range for those riders that wish to have the greatest possible control over their load direction.
We also offer an aluminium version. The outer shell of the pedal has been machined to allow for Shimano Exercider straps and for use with a custom made width Allen key that holds the steel pad between the chainstay and seat stays. When combined with our wider 4.4 x 30a x 12a axle a custom made 2.8mm wide seat stay conversion.
Overall I’m very pleased with my gravel bike pedals and it won’t be long before I’ve covered all of the things I was hoping to do with them.
The only things I can find on the internet about them is below, I hope it helps you choose the right pedals for you.
For me these were the perfect choice, the amount of force they take out of the pedals is minimal and they never give me any trouble. I got a lot of abuse from the bike over the years and have never had a single issue with them, either moving or seizing up, a win win situation for me.
What are the best pedals for gravel bikes?
Best gravel bike pedal yet light weight tough pedal get the powe down off-road. In a race day gravel pedal with a smooth cleat interface.
Do gravel bikes come with pedals?
A bike pedal aare one of new few things its that typically do not come with our new gravels bike, they like to one of the first choice do the our needs.
what kind of pedals for gravel bike?
The very best entry-level gravel pedal which will not let you down. The smartest choice for bombproof usage and ease of serviceability. Shimano XTR. The race day gravel pedal using a sleek cleat interface. Crank brothers Eggbeater 3. Crank Brothers Candy 2. Appearance X-Track Hurry . HT 878. Ritchey Comp V5.