Talk about technological advancement. It never fails to amaze me how the world has advanced in their technologies and made sure of human comforts. Bikes, supposed to be old fashioned are equipped with newest forms of technologies as well. Imagine the progress.
Bikers don’t have to be concerned about their electronic gadgets anymore as special Best Portable Solar Panels designed for bikes can easily charge them. So you get to enjoy your tour with no nagging in your head that your phone or any other gadget might run out of battery since the solar panels are keeping a watch on it. Isn’t that amazing? I would say that if you’re a biker who undertake tours of long durations, you must have a solar panel with you as the investment is quite worth it.
However you must understand how the panels perform and whether they’re compatible with your devices. Also the main concern here is weather. Best Portable Solar Panels, quite obviously depends upon the amount of sunlight received.
If you’re out in some rainy day, don’t expect an optimum performance. Also if your devices are not accepting the charge from the solar panels effectively or with no effects, once again it gets flop. So you need to know these things. However if it comes to weather, we know it changes and solar panels for bicycles can be used in the sunny days. Also other factors like durability, compatibility, weight and size are other factors to consider while you debate on your buying. Also the amount of watt.
Which is very important, I must stress on this fact. Overall I believe it’s a handy thing to have while on a tour for maximum comfort. Now that you’re clear about the aspects, let’s have a look at some of the Best Portable Solar Panels for bicycles you must check out.
What will the right Bicycle Solar Panels offer you?
1. Goal Zero Nomad Plus.
When it’s solar panels for your bicycle, it’s all about the watt. And here you get three types of panels with watts of 7, 14 and 28. You need to make your choice based on the type and duration of your tour. You also get mounting holes and you can effectively use it for steady strapping in order to charge your devices while you’re on your ride. Quite easy to setup.
Nomad models are quite awesome to use and based on reviews I can say that Nomad 7 Plus is what you should be looking out for. However some say that it doesn’t charge their tech properly.
Best thing to do? Try it out yourself and see whether the compatibility is favourable. Also it depends heavily on sunlight so the more shaded your area is, the lesser you have the chances of successful charging. So you should keep that in mind. Power supply is something quite debatable here. They use microcrystalline silicone cells which are proven to be most effective of all cells so that’s definitely a plus point.
- The Nomad 7 will directly charge most USB and 12V devices (not tablets). Most handheld USB devices, including: Cell phone, smart phone, GPS, MP3 player
- Collect 7 watts of solar power from the sun
- The Nomad 7 works best with the following Goal Zero products: Goal Zero Switch 8 & 10 Recharger, Flip 10 & 20 Recharger, Guide 10 Plus Recharger, Venture 30, Rock Out Portable Speakers, and Lighthouse Lanterns
- Foldable, rugged design, and weather resistant
- Use the USB and 12V ports at the same time. The Nomad 7 will split the incoming solar power between the two ports to charge devices simultaneously (Some devices may not be compatible)
2. RAVPower 24W.
I personally recommend it for your tours as the usability of this product is quite decent and you get it as compactly and handy with all the necessary accessories requisite for stable attachments. More awesome thing about this solar panel is its working effectiveness in conditions which are less sunny in nature. So that’s an added advantage. Cost wise it’s cheaper than the one above but its abilities surpasses even the Goal Zero.
Weight Wise it is just around 750 grams which is quite light in nature so you won’t feel like carrying some heavy loads on your bicycle. You get two USB cords as well (micro). You also get to charge approximately three devices and proven to be very effective in that too.
Surely water resistant as well. Advisable to get some external battery. All the factors here combine to inevitably say only one thing: it is one of the best solar panels for your bicycle.
- Signature solar cells: our 24W solar charging technology increases the efficiency of charging by up to 21.5% - 23.5%
- Easy to carry: half the weight of similar solar chargers but equal in power so you can bring it anywhere
- Exclusive ismart technology: All three USB ports are equipped with ismart technology, which automatically detects and delivers the optimal charging current for connected devices; up to 2.4a per port or 4.8a overall when used under direct sunlight
- Triple port power: smart IC frequency technology detects and evenly distributes output current to all three USB ports ensuring every Device is evenly charged
- Important NOTE: Please do not lay the solar panel directly on concrete, sand, Rock or other high heat conduction surfaces in direct sunlight – This will cause the solar panel to overheat and significantly reduce the conversion rate and output wattage
3. Anker Powerport Solar 21W.
I will begin by informing you that it only comes with three panels. Thought you should know. That makes it smaller than other solar panels designed for bicycles. However that shouldn’t necessarily mean that it’s any less than the above solar panels.
You get Velcro pouch for your gadgets and also USB ports (two).Review is quite mixed in nature with some claiming that it barely managed to charge their devices. Also the cost is on the higher side which makes many people to browse for some better solar panels. I can say this for sure that it all depends on the amount of sunlight it gets.
Sunlight is in direct proportion with its charging abilities. So you must check it out yourself to see if you consider it as one of the best solar panels for your bicycle.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology
- Fast Charging Technology: PowerIQ delivers the charging speed up to 2.4 amps per port or 3 amps overall under direct sunlight. 21 watt SunPower solar array is 21.5-23.5% efficient, providing enough power to charge two devices simultaneously
- Incredibly Durable: Industrial-strength PET polymer faced solar panels sewn into a rugged polyester canvas offer weather-resistant outdoor durability
- Highly Portable: Compact size (11.1 × 6.3in folded or 26.4 × 11.1in opened) and stainless-steel eye-holes on each corner allow easy attachment to backpacks, trees, or tents. Lightweight and ultra-thin design make it ideal for long treks
- What You Get: Anker PowerPort Solar (21W 2-Port USB Solar Charger), 3ft Micro USB cable, welcome guide, our fan-favorite 18-month warranty and friendly customer service
4. Suntactics – sCharger – 14.
It doesn’t carry any designs of mounting on bikes, just loops at corners. But when it comes to its working, it is phenomenal. It works awesomely in day light and in situations where the light is limited. It becomes, quite easily one of the best solar panels you can ever ask for your bicycle.
This product is very highly demanded and recommended by veterans and surely that counts for something. Weight is light, quite handy in nature, awesome performance and a good value for money is what sums up the Suntactics. No need to be concerned of water as well. So I would definitely recommend you to give it a shot because hey! This gives you all.
- The sCharger-14 is a powerful solar charger and our largest solar charger offering. Specs: 2800mA, 5.1 volts, Dual USB ports (14Watts) 11.5" x 7" x 1/4" closed, 11.5" x 14.5" x 1/8" open , 21oz. Auto-Retry. The S14 can charge two devices at once.
- The S14 is a must have power source for emergencies and disaster preparation. But it also makes a great outdoor adventure power source for a group of people. The S14 can charge four phones per day in full sunlight.
- Suntactics solar chargers are extremely durable, reliable and water resistant. Solar panels and electronic connections are completely encapsulated. High efficiency solar cells are configured correctly for optimum light-to-voltage conversion for increased charging speed. Corrosion resistant from salty environments and water tested to 40 feet.
- Charges USB devices and phones, including all iPhones, iPads,watches, All Samsung phones, watches and tablets,fitbit, Powerbanks, AA/AAA,18650, A23 batteries, flashlights, SLR cameras using a USB charging cradle found on Amazon.
- Designed and assembled in Silicon Valley, USA. U.S.Pat No. 9,929,443. Package includes Suntactics solar charger, travel pouch, User Manual, 2-year warranty, excellent customer support
5. BigBlue 28 W.
Talking about awesome solar panels for bicycles, this one cannot miss the list! Awesomely charges your devices even when the day isn’t quite sunny, makes it one of the most sought after Bike with solar panels. Features include PET polymer which ensures that the panel isn’t harmed by rain or any water elements. Also you get zip pockets in place of Velcro which once again ensures 100% cover. What do I think? Better you check it out before you Zero in on your choice because this one might very well change it!
- Built-in Ammeter: The ammeter can measure the current in a circuit. The value of Amps of our 28W solar charger depends on your devices, sunlgiht intensity and cable used. If your device has an input current of 1A (such as the iPhone), the amount of ammeter will show between 0.8A and 1A in theory.
- Exclusive SmartIC Technology: With the built-in intelligence chip, our solar phone charger can detects your device then deliver its fastest possible charging speed(single usb port up to 5V/2.4A Max, dual USB ports up to 4A Max overall). Dual-port applys to all the 5V Android devices and apple devices. Note: This solar charger is not compatible with the iPad Pro.
- High Efficiency: SunPower Solar Panels with high solar conversion efficiency by up to 21.5% - 23.5%. With compact size (11.1 × 6.3× 1.3in folded) and lightweight (21.0 oz) design, includes 4 clip hooks, which allows you to hook your solar panel everywhere convenient to get solar access (trees, backpacks, vehicle, etc.), so it is easy to carry for any outdoor activities such as camping, climbing, fishing etc.
- Special PET Polymer Surface: Industrial-strength PET polymer fabric protects your solar panel and your devices from occasional rain or wet fog. IPX4 waterproof level, but the USB ports and ammeter are not water-resistant, so keep them away from water while charging. the pocket with a zip will keep your devices safe and clean while camping.
- Easy to Use: Please unfold four solar panels under outdoor direct sunlight( No cloud and no shadow), then connect your device to the usb port with your certificated cable. A micro usb cable is provided in our package and not included the lightning cable. Note: Please don't place the device inside the pocket attached when charging in order to avoid overheating then damage your devices.
These were some of the best solar panels for your bicycles but before we conclude, I must say that having a power bank always helps. So you must make a complete analysis of your tour before you decide whether you actually need the Bike with solar panels.
If you’re going in another town where you sure as well get electric supply then I don’t think you’d need a solar panel. It’s meant for days when you’re not in contact with the humans nor their localities. So better to think those stuffs up along with all the factors I’ve mentioned in the introduction before you choose your Bike with solar panels.
How do I charge my bike battery with a solar panel?
Most sun based boards just put out under 20v, on a splendid radiant day that is, as they are intended to charge 12v batteries. Boards are associated with a charger regulator or MPPT, you would have to support the voltage out if your boards are to charge an ebike battery, most are 36v or 48v.
Can I charge my eBike with a solar panel?
At the point when you’re prepared to charge your electric bicycle – you should simply open the sun oriented board, associate the charger to the sunlight based board, and interface the charger to your eBike.
What charges a solar panel?
The sun based board changes daylight into DC power over to charge the battery. This DC power is taken care of to the battery by means of a sun based controller which guarantees the battery is charged appropriately and not harmed.